Mental health issues are said to reduce life expectancy by 15-20 years.1
On average, 50% of people with serious mental disorders in the United States and Europe are not receiving the treatment they need and deserve.2
Only 25% of EU citizens with mental disorders have access to care
75% of EU citizens suffering from depression or anxiety are not treated at all
Depression, directly and indirectly was estimated to have a global cost of $800 billion in 2010
Whilst on the waiting list to receive help:
1 in 6 people are likely to attempt suicide.
1 in 10 people will wait over one year before receiving treatment.
4 in 10 people self harm.
People suffering from a chronic illness are more likely to suffer from depression & anxiety
70 million people in the EU are affected by chronic kidney failure and report sever psychological distress.
Up to 40% of patients who have suffered a major cardiac event suffer from major depressive disorder.
33% of cancer patients are diagnosed with depression.
Thank you! Your submission has been received!
Oops! Something went wrong while submitting the form.
1. Risks of all‐cause and suicide mortality in mental disorders: a meta‐review. World Psychiatry. (2014)
2. Prevalence, Severity, and Unmet Need for Treatment of Mental Disorders in the World Health Organization World Mental Health Surveys. The Journal of the American Medical Association. (2004).
3. Mental health policy group. (2017).
4. 3 out of 4 people suffering from major depression do not receive adequate treatment. World Health Organisation. (2017).
5. The economic cost of brain disorders in Europe. European Journal of Neurology. (2012).
6. Thousands attempt suicide while on NHS waiting list for psychological. The Independent. (2014).
7. Thousands attempt suicide while on NHS waiting list for psychological. The Independent. (2014).
8. Epidemiology and trends in non-fatal self-harm in three centres in England, 2000–2012: findings from the Multicentre Study of Self-harm in England. British Medical Journal. (2016).
9. High burden and unmet patient needs in chronic kidney disease. International Journal of Nephrology and Renovascular Disease. (2012).
10. Depression and the Link with Cardiovascular Disease. Frontiers in Psychiatry. (2016).
11. Investing in Mental Health. World Health Organisation. (2003)